Dr April Wong is an active researcher and is currently the Chief Investigator of two major research studies;
- Quality of life in women undergoing mastectomy with Immediate, Delayed or No breast reconstruction and adjuvant radiotherapy for breast cancer (QoLID Pilot Study).
- Quality of life, unmet needs and functional outcomes of melanoma patients undergoing radical lymph node dissection.
“Research is my other passion. I believe research is an essential element in medicine and our ongoing career so that we continue to pursue and provide evidenced best care for our patients..”
During Dr Wong’s career, the ANZ Breast Cancer Trials Group awarded her the John Collins Medal including a travel grant in 2012. She was also a successful recipient of the ACORD Fellowship, funding from Cancer Council NSW and Medical Oncology Group of Australia (MOGA) (2012).
Dr Wong has secured numerous prestigious grants for valuable medical research projects from the Friends of the Mater Foundation Research Grant (2013 and 2014), Waikato Medical Research Foundation, New Zealand (2014), Waikato Bay of Plenty Division Cancer Society of New Zealand (2014), and the Sydney Vital Implementation Research Seed Funding (2015).
Dr Wong’s research presentations include the following:
- Oral bowel preparation in laparoscopic colorectal surgery: is it necessary?
Oral presentation at the RACS Annual Scientific Congress (Sydney), 15th May 2006.
- Paediatric Treadmill Injuries: A Public Health Issue.
Oral presentation at the combined 40th Australasian Association of Paediatric Surgeons & Pacific Association of Paediatric Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference (Queenstown), 17th April 2007.
Awarded Nate Myers Clinical Research Prize – Best oral presentation.
- Long-term outcome of asymptomatic patients with congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation.
Oral presentation at the Conjoint RACS Annual Scientific Congress (Hong Kong), 15th May 2008. Dissertation topic for Master of Surgery, University of Sydney.
- Synchronous femoral hernias diagnosed during endoscopic inguinal hernia repair.
Poster presentation at the General Surgeons Australia Annual Scientific Meeting (Gold Coast), 17-19 Sept 2010.
- Patent Blue V Dye anapylaxis: experience of Australian & New Zealand Surgeons.
Oral & Poster presentation at the RACS Annual Scientific Congress (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) May 7 – 11, 2012.
- Increasing breast reconstruction rates by offering more women a choice.
Oral presentation at the Annual Scientific Congress (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) May 7 – 11, 2012.
- Quality of Life of women undergoing mastectomy with Immediate, Delayed or No breast reconstruction and adjuvant radiotherapy for breast cancer (QoLID): A pilot study to assess feasibility.
Local Therapy Workshop at the 35th ANZBCTG (Australia & New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group) Annual Scientific Meeting (Brisbane, Australia), 11th – 13th July 2013.
Oral presentation of interim pilot results at the 37th Australia & NZ Breast Cancer Trials Group Annual Scientific Meeting (Perth, Australia), 22nd – 24th July 2015.
- The effect of lymphadenectomy on limb function, health related outcomes and unmet needs: results of a prospective study.
Oral presentation at the 11th European Association of Dermato-Oncology Congress and 8th World Meeting of Interdisciplinary Melanoma/Skin Cancer Center, (Marseille, France) 28 – 31 October, 2015.